Saturday, January 27, 2007

College Life

I think I will blog a little more about college life, now that I had experienced about 2-3 weeks of it.

First of all, it is really hectic and as I may have said to you, you come to school before the sun is up and only go home after the sun is down. In other words, you are practically spending your whole day there, even if your lessons ended early like say in the early afternoon. The truth is there’s so many activities organized each day that you will be unable to find any “slack days” on your calendar. For instance, there may be Faculty Dance session on one day or say DramaFeste or whatever… I guess while you may not find college life fulfilling, it will at least be “filling”.

Another thing I noticed is that the pace of lessons is much faster than in the high school side. If a person is slacking for a day or two by not doing tutorial, he or she will probably be behind schedule already. For me, I am trying to catch up with the mole tutorial as well as 1C. To cope with this increased workload, some had resorted to “mugging whenever there’s time”, so you can see them working on tutorial during breaks or even before the morning flag-raising. For some, they will either be copying wholesales, or photocopy the whole tutorial like what Kian Yang did.

Another indicator of the workload is the much thicker notes for each of the subjects. For the first 2 stacks of Economics notes, which I think will last for one term, has a total of 88 pages albeit with some useless crap inside. In contrast, year four 4 biology only has 100 pages of notes FOR ONE YEAR. With so many notes to be printed over the term, the class fund has been rising by an extraordinary rate. I estimate that I had been paying about $10 each week. This high expenditure reminds me of what ngmy said about textbooks. If you buy textbooks, it will be in one go and will feel less costly, supposedly and in perception, than if you were to be pay the class fund every other day. She said that the total sum will actually be about the same. I’m not sure about her theory, but I can at least confirm that my pocket money always run out before the week does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Understand me?